Poll: Floyd Mayweather vs. Ewan McGregor
Floyd Mayweather
Ewan McGregor
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Boxing
07-21-2009 09:10 AM
Guest Lurkers

RE: Boxing
yeah, it keeps happening to me when I try to load page 3. Same shit happens with the "post your mug" thread.
Quote this message in a reply
07-21-2009 09:45 AM
Guest Lurkers

I can see ya reply now magically, back to boxing...

UFC Vs Boxing :
Quote:"It's a fight people really aren't interested in," Dana White told ESPN 1100 of the boxing match in June. "I love boxing, [but] boxing is in big trouble. This next fight with Floyd isn't a big fight." White added that he had heard Mayweather was cautioned to steer clear of a UFC event night. - Dana White
Quote:"UFC Fight Night" (and the premiere of the Kimbo Slice-spearheaded "Ultimate Fighter" season) is set to air, but that congested schedule isn't as interesting as what is being thrown up against it. The UFC 103 event will compete head-to-head with a major boxing pay-per-view that same night featuring returning Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Juan Manuel Marquez.

[my-youtube width=425 height=344]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi57gh_RrGs&eurl=[/my-youtube]
Quote:"In boxing, we know who's dominating. Black fighters and Hispanic fighers is dominating in this sport. And this is not a racial statement but there's no white fighters in boxing that's dominating, so they had to go to something else and start something new." - Mayweather

and regarding The Pac-Man
Quote:FLOYD MAYWEATHER JNR doubts he will ever step in the ring with Manny Pacquiao.

Fight fans are desperate to see Money collide with the current pound-for-pound king.

But Mayweather fears they will be disappointed unless Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum agrees to a 60-40 purse split in his favour.

The undefeated American said: "Arum wants a 50-50 split but that's never going to happen.

"If he wasn't trying to be so greedy, the fight would happen."

Mayweather, who returns to the ring against Juan Manuel Marquez on September 19, has also ruled out any possibility of Pacquiao beating him if they do collide.

He added: "Pacquiao is a good fighter — I don't take nothing from him.

"But he hasn't done nothing I haven't done. Where was he when I was dominating the sport?

"He hasn't called me out but I'm not hard to find.

"I ain't worried about him. With or without him, I'm comfortable.

"I don't chase opponents — opponents chase me. The biggest fight in boxing is Mayweather versus anybody."

Pac-Man's next fight is confirmed, he will fight Cotto (Bob Arum boss of both).
Khan wont be matched up against Hatton next, he's planing to fight in America.
07-21-2009 03:07 PM
Guest Lurkers

Pfft, boxing ain't in trouble. it's still making mega-bucks and still has millions of fans. It's been around for over 100 years and been through dips before.

Floyd is fucking FUNNY. I swear, the guy just makes shit up in his own head. You gotta love him though. I read that shit about the Pac Man fight last week, fuck me... why does he think he should be paid more than the recognizd p4p champ? Money RETIRED from boxing, he can't just jump back in and expect bigger paydays than others. Especially someone like Manny.

That shit he said about UFC is total bollucks. Aside from the fact there's plenty of non-white fighters doing MMA, we've had white guys dominate boxings most prestigious division for years now, the russians and eastern europeans are ruling the heavyweights. Maybe that's the problem though, these tall Ivan Drago fighters have made the division BORING. And a boring heavyweight division reflects badly on the sport as a whole.

Couple that with the fact that there's WAY too many divisions, WAY too many belts and WAY too many "champions". And the best hardly ever fight the best -- something that UFC does on a regular basis.

This "Super 6" tournement is exactly what boxing needs. It also needs characters like "Pretty Boy" Floyd "Money" Mayweather. Anyone with 2 nicknames is a legend in my book.

oh yeah, also, UFC and Boxing can co-exist, surely? Why the fuck can't they? Plenty of other similar sports do.
07-23-2009 10:17 AM
Guest Lurkers

http://www.secondsout.com/world-boxing-n...november-7
Quote:Haye Dumps Klitschko, Signs to Fight Valuev November 7

It seems that former cruiserweight world champion David Haye won’t fight either of the Klitschko brothers in 2009 after all. In a stunning development on Wednesday, the “Hayemaker” turned his back on Vitali Klitschko and signed to fight WBA heavyweight boxing world champion Nikolay Valuev in Germany on November 7.

28 year-old Haye 22-1 (21) and his manager/trainer Adam Booth were reportedly unhappy with the offer on the table from Team Klitschko and negotiated in secret with Valuev’s promoters, leaving Vitali without a fight at short notice for September.

WBC champion Klitschko, his management and agents were left fuming at the actions of Haye and Booth, which they labelled unprofessional.

Haye has not ruled out eventually fighting either of the Klitschko brothers in 2010, if he is able to defeat 35 year-old Valuev 50-1 (34), but after he pulled out of a fight with Wladimir claiming injury, then did an about turn against Vitali, it remains to be seen whether the Klitschko brothers will ever entertain a fight with Haye seriously again.

------------------------------

hahaha! good move Haye, can't wait for this one. Fuck the Klitchko's!

David vs Goliath

I hope Haye fucks up the mongoloid headed giant

[Image: theylivenikolaivaluevey.jpg]
07-23-2009 10:49 AM
Guest Lurkers

^Damn where did that guy walk out of, Chernobyl?

Looks like he trains by having sparring partners hit him with sledge-hammers.
07-23-2009 11:39 AM
Guest Lurkers

you seen him fight before? he's the slowest boxer in history, but hits like a mule. Check out some of his KO's (against poor fighters btw) on youtube.

I watched his fight against Evander Holyfield a while back, crap fight but Evander definitely deserved the win. He got robbed.

[Image: valuevboxer.jpg]

[Image: 610xlta.jpg]
07-23-2009 11:56 AM
Guest Lurkers

'The Russian Giant' that's the best nickname he can come up with?

How about the 'Brawling Russian Bear', he's about hairy as one with those King Kong Bundy shoulders.
08-12-2009 11:18 AM
Guest Lurkers

Pavlik Vs Williams Set For Oct 3
Quote:Kelly Pavlik will defend his WBC/WBO middleweight titles against Paul ‘The Punisher’ Williams in Atlantic City, New Jersey on October 3.

Pavlik’s manager Cameron Dunkin confirmed the exciting match-up to Maxboxing.com, on Tuesday: "Fights on," said Cameron. "Paul Williams is a terrific fighter but my guy’s also a great fighter and it’s a sensational fight for boxing. It’s going to be something, it’s going to be fireworks"

Incredibly, neither box office attraction had too many options on the table so Pavlik insisted Dunkin pursue a match up with Williams and eventually the fight was made. "Again, Kelly did this with the ( Edison) Miranda fight, a lot of people said he was underpaid for that fight because Kelly just called me up and said," Cameron, just make the fight.’ No one else wanted to fight Miranda, ”added Cameron.

“And of course the ( Jermain) Taylor fight, rather than getting strung along and them asking for an exception and all that, he said,’ Forget about the money and just make me a fair deal. Get me what you can and let’s fight.’

Cameron also confirmed negotiations to make Pavlik vs Williams was far from easy. " Well, these guys, they nit-picked and played and horsed around for weeks and they would end up getting more and more and more,” said Cameron.

“And again, true to his word,’ That’s OK, just get me the fight.’ So Kelly’s a real fighter and these other guys want to play businessman and all that and string everybody along. If Kelly was a crybaby, believe me, this fight wouldn’t have been made, at all. Not even close."

August 12, 2009

Hatton Could Fight Khan But Only If He Promoted
Quote:Ricky Hatton has revealed a fight with new WBA junior-welterweight champion Amir Khan could only take place if he promoted it.

The 30 year-old is yet to decide if he will ever fight again following his ferocious knockout loss to Manny Pacquiao back May but if he did he would insist that he promotes the event.

Speaking to Sky Sports Hatton said: If were to fight I would have to promote it, its not even a starting point unless I promote it but it is a possibility if I decide to fight again.”

August 11, 2009
08-24-2009 10:26 PM
Guest Lurkers

http://www.secondsout.com/columns/thomas...-shameless
Quote:Texas is Shameless
Sun 23-Aug-2009 23:51

By Thomas Hauser

In August 2007, Paulie Malignaggi traveled to Las Vegas as a representative of Everlast at the “Magic” fashion show. Moments after his return flight to New York landed, he was taking his carry-on bag from the overhead luggage bin when another passenger recognized him.

“Hey, Paulie,” the man said. “I love you. You’re a great fighter. Don’t worry; Someday, you’ll win a title.”

Problem: Two months earlier, Malignaggi had fought twelve near-perfect rounds against Lovemore Ndou to capture the IBF 140-pound crown. Such is the visibility that attends world championships in boxing these days.

Paulie has struggled since then. He defended his title successfully against Herman Ngoudjo and in a rematch against Ndou, but looked ordinary both times. Then he relinquished the belt to fight Ricky Hatton and performed poorly against the Mancunian, suffering the second loss of his career (the first was at the hands of Miguel Cotto).

After winning a comeback fight against Chris Fernandez, Malignaggi returned to the bright lights to face Juan Diaz on HBO’s Boxing After Dark. When Diaz-Malignaggi was scheduled, I wrote that Paulie would be going to Houston “to take on Juan Diaz, the referee, and three judges.”

Malignaggi had similar concerns. The week before the August 22nd fight, he made more calls to reporters than a robo-call machine in the final days of a heated political campaign.

To get the Diaz fight, Malignaggi agreed to a 138-1/2 pound weight limit and an 18-foot ring (with presumably soft padding). Both of those concessions favored Diaz. But according to Paulie, he’d been promised neutral officials for the fight.

Neutral officials were important. Texas has a reputation for hometown officiating, and Diaz is a hometown hero in Houston. Then Malignaggi learned that the referee for the fight would be Laurence Cole (the son of Dickie Cole, who is the administrator of combat sports for the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation). Pouring salt into the wound, the judges would be Gale Van Hoy, David Sutherland, and Raul Caiz Sr.

Van Hoy is from Texas and has a reputation in boxing circles for looking kindly on Texas fighters. Sutherland’s designation (he’s from neighboring Oklahoma) was also cause for concern. And Malignaggi called Caiz (who is from California) “a gofer for Golden Boy [Diaz’s promoter] and a guy who’s biased in favor of Mexican-American fighters.”

“I understand the risks of going to the other guy’s hometown,” Malignaggi said. “But they’re trying to make it impossible for me to win. They’re doing everything to raise Juan’s hand before we even fight.”

The sad thing is that Paulie was right.

The history of officiating in Texas is troublesome. Laurence Cole went so far over the line in a 2006 bout between Juan Manuel Marquez and Jimrex Jaca that he was suspended for three months and fined US$500 after the Association of Boxing Commissions filed a complaint regarding his performance with the Texas Ethics Commission. Prior to that, Micky Ward was deprived of a knockout victory over Jesse James Leija (of Texas) and given a loss via technical decision when the same Mr. Cole incorrectly ruled that a cut suffered by Leija had been caused by a head butt rather than a punch. The deciding vote in Leija-Ward was cast by none other than Gale Van Hoy, who ruled 49-46 in Leija’s favor. The “neutral” judge (Duane Ford) had Ward ahead at the time of the stoppage.

When Rocky Juarez (another Texan) fought Chris John earlier this year, it appeared to a lot of people that the referee (Laurence Cole) manhandled John throughout the fight. Adding insult to injury, Juarez was awarded a draw, although most observers thought that John had won. Two of the judges in John-Juarez were Gale Van Hoy and Raul Caiz Sr.

These are just a few examples of the fuel that ignited Malignaggi’s concern. Other Texas referees and judges have also raised eyebrows with their performance in high-profile fights.

“Dickie Cole has promised me a fair fight,” Malignaggi told Max Kellerman of HBO shortly before he entered the ring to face Diaz. “Texas is not known to have many fair fights.”

Kellerman was of a similar view, telling a national television audience, “They have everything stacked for Diaz.”

Sutherland gave a preview of his scoring in the first televised bout of the evening, when Danny Jacobs (the fighter favored by Golden Boy) took on Ishe Smith. Jacobs won the fight. Most observers gave him six or seven rounds. Sutherland gave him all ten. At that point, one could have been forgiven for wondering whether Dickie Cole should ask Sutherland if he had the flu or cataracts or some other ailment that was impairing his vision.

Diaz-Malignaggi was a close fight. Cole warned Malignaggi several times for pushing off with his forearm, but seemed unconcerned with the low blows that Diaz threw throughout the bout. Malignaggi had a 191-to-178 edge in punches landed.

This observer scored the bout even at 114-114. Harold Lederman (HBO’s “unofficial judge at ringside”) had Malignaggi ahead 115-113. A poll of viewers conducted by Fightnews.com showed that roughly 60 percent of the respondents thought Paulie had won, while the remaining 40 percent were evenly divided between those who thought that Diaz had won and those who believed that the decision “could have gone either way.”

Then the judges had their say. Caiz scored the fight 115-113 for Diaz. Sutherland was clearly off the mark with a 116-112 card in favor of the hometown fighter. That left Van Hoy, who scored the bout 118-110 for the hometown boy made good, Juan Diaz.

Van Hoy’s score was a disgrace. “What fight was that man watching,” HBO blow-by-blow commentator Bob Papa asked rhetorically. “118-110 is inexplicable.”

“That was terrible,” Lennox Lewis concluded.

“There’s no excuse for a fighter not getting a fair shake,” Kellerman added. “The marketplace spoke tonight.”

The officiating in high profile fights in Texas is starting to look like the officiating in professional wrestling.

The National Football League doesn’t allow hometown officiating when teams travel to the Lone Star State to play the Dallas Cowboys and Houston Texans. Major League Baseball doesn’t have a separate set of standards for umpires who work home games involving the Texas Rangers and Houston Astros.

Too often, boxing countenances (and even encourages) favoritism toward hometown fighters. That’s one of the reasons why the sweet science is losing the respect of the American public.

HBO, by virtue of its checkbook, is the closest thing that boxing has to an effective governing body. If HBO cares about the integrity of the fights that it televises, it will issue the following statement:

“Boxing is a great sport. A good fight is wonderful entertainment. However, it’s an unsatisfying viewing experience for our subscribers when they see one thing unfold on the television screen in front of them and then the officials rule to the contrary. For that reason, HBO will no longer televise fights from jurisdictions in which we believe that fighters are not treated equally and fairly.”

Things would change in a hurry if HBO took that position. Money talks.
08-25-2009 03:35 AM
Guest Lurkers

(08-12-2009 11:18 AM)louie Wrote:  Hatton Could Fight Khan But Only If He Promoted

Hatton's lost his mind, Pac-Man punches rattled his brain.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A History of Boxing vs. Pro-Wrestling bbomber 1 824 03-28-2008 06:48 AM
Last Post: bbomber
  Great article on Boxing crowds vs. MMA crowds bbomber 1 793 02-21-2008 06:07 AM
Last Post: bbomber